Drug Arrests Attorney Michigan
Michigan courts come down hard on drug offenders. Depending on the type of drug and the volume, a person could face serious penalties. In addition to possible fines, probation, license suspension, or jail time, a drug conviction can also have a long-term effect on your life. This is the type of crime that could haunt you for years. That’s why it’s critical you seek the help of an experienced drug crime attorney if you’re facing charges.
There are a number of factors that could play a huge role in your case and resulting punishment. These may include:
- Your intent, whether it be possession, use, distribution, delivery, or conspiracy
- The judge in your case
- If the drug charge involved assault or another crime
- Your prior record
- Where the arrest took place
At Dallo Law, P.C., we take all these details into consideration when forming a defense strategy. We’ll work with you to either get the charges dropped if you feel they’re unjust, or get your sentence reduced.
Types of Drug Charges We Handle
When many people think of a drug arrest, they think of a simple possession charge. However, there are a number of different drug crimes, each with specific laws and penalties. If you’ve been arrested for one of the crimes below, Dallo Law, P.C. can protect your rights and create a defense that’s appropriate for the charge.
- Use of a controlled substance including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth, ecstasy, or prescription narcotics
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Prescription fraud
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Intent to distribute
- Drug trafficking
- The manufacturing of a controlled substance
- Conspiracy to deliver
- The manufacturing or distribution of a fake controlled substance
- Operating a lab or drug house
Some of these charges can lead to extensive jail time and fines in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Furthermore, the laws surrounding drug arrests are highly complex. That’s why you need an experienced attorney to navigate you through the legal system. Attempting to handle the case yourself or working with a court-appointed attorney can have disastrous results.
Why You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer
The details of a drug arrest can be very tricky. Sometimes police or prosecuting attorneys will try to increase the charges when the arrest involves a simple possession. In these cases, if the accused doesn’t hire experienced representation, they’re at risk of having their rights violated. They may end up getting sentenced for crimes they never intended to commit. In addition, even possession or delivery of a small amount of a drug can result in extensive jail time. In these situations, an attorney can work to reduce your punishment or prove that one or more of the charges are false.
Along with long jail times, drug crimes carry extremely high fines. In fact, serious charges involving distribution can reach fines as high as $1,000,000. Some individuals facing drug charges feel that spending money on a good attorney isn’t worth it. However, there’s a good chance that an attorney can actually save you money by getting your fines reduced. If appropriate, an attorney can negotiate a plea bargain. Or, they can take the case to court if they feel your rights were violated.
Steps to Take After a Drug Arrest
If you’ve been arrested for a drug crime, there are a few things you should know regarding your initial steps. Your actions during the arrest and arraignment could have a huge impact on your case and resulting punishment. Make sure you follow these steps after an arrest.
- Say as little as possible. Remember, the police may try to unjustly increase the charges against you. You don’t want to risk inadvertently incriminating yourself.
- Remain calm. Getting angry at the police or judge will only make matters worse.
- Notify your family of your arrest. If you have to remain in jail, it’s important your family knows where you are. You should also have them locate a qualified attorney and speak to them about your case.
- Ask to speak to your attorney. This is your constitutional right, so use if you need to. Even if the police are trying to interrogate you, tell them you want to speak to your attorney first.
- When you’re released from jail, make sure to keep track of all documents pertaining to your case. You’ll most likely be assigned a court date. It’s important you provide this date to your attorney.
Contact a Sterling Heights Drug Crime Attorney
Getting arrested for a drug crime is a serious offense. If you want to avoid expensive fines, probation, or jail time, it’s important you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. At Dallo Law, P.C., we’ll custom tailor a defense strategy based on the circumstances of your case. It’s our goal to defend your rights and fight hard to get the charges reduced or dismissed. Contact us in Sterling Heights at (248) 283-7000 to schedule a consultation.